By Mark Gerow
Special to Law.com
July 28, 2009
"I often find myself staring at Microsoft SharePoint and wondering how I can do more with it to enable a 21st century law firm; one in which attorneys, clients and staff can easily share ideas, expertise and information across time and distance. How can it be used to reduce costs while expanding the ways in which we collaborate?
In this article I'll suggest 10 ways you can use SharePoint today in your firm to improve attorney effectiveness, deliver better client service and reduce costs. This is not a "how to" but a "what now" article, written to answer that perennial question: "now what?" "
1: REPLACE YOUR DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
2. AUTOMATE NEW BUSINESS INTAKE
3. SEARCH ACROSS ALL YOUR SYSTEMS
4. ENCOURAGE 'COMMUNITIES OF INTEREST' USING 'MY SITES'
5. CREATE A FIRMWIDE CALENDAR
6. CREATE A PRACTICE GROUP WIKI
7. COLLABORATE WITH CLIENTS USING EXTRANETS
8. MANAGE PROJECTS
9. DISPLAY 'KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS'
10. CREATE A 'MASHUP'