To create a theme, start by creating a new folder with the images and CSS files that make up the theme. Here are the steps to create a new theme called “MOSSTHEME″:
Here is a short procedure of creating a custom site theme named "MossTheme":
1. Copy any theme folder in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\THEMES" folder and paste with its name replaced with "MossTheme". In this example, copy GRANITE folder.
2. In MossTheme folder, rename GRANITE.INF file to MOSSTHEME.INF in upper case.
3. Open MOSSTHEME.INF file with notepad.
4. Change the value of title under [Info] to MossTheme.
5. Replace every word, Granite, under [titles] with MossTheme.
6. Open "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\1033\SPTHEMES.XML" file with notepad.
7. Add the following lines under
'<' templates '>'
Notice that preview and thumbnail paths are images/MossTheme.gif. By default, MOSS 2007 and WSS 3.0 will not have such image files.
8. In order to display thumbnail and preview correctly, you will need to capture the screen and save the file in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\IMAGES" folder with MossTheme.gif name. You can change the .gif file name if you change the thumbnail and preview file names in
9. Do an iisrest for the server to recognize the new theme.
Pretty simple procedure. Now you are ready to test your new theme. In Site Settings, you can now choose MOSSTHEME; however, the theme will not differ from Granite theme. Now, it is time for you to play with theme.css file!